My words are my thoughts and I'm a pessimist person who just thinks that Murphy's Law is what defines me. I believe that anything bad that has ever happened will continue to do so. So, if anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway...

Caution




The content of this blog is reflected to my very on skewed perception in life. That means I do not take responsibility on any account, and therefore, read this blog at your own risk!

Personal



Profile | Web | Fotopic
PGP Public Key

Email

ydtmaemtoiestedteaonetlj

It looks like a bunch of garbled text, huh? Well, you can actually learn how to decode using by reading this post.

If you hate challenges, you might want to try jlys@[remove-this]tm.net.my but I only used this sparingly as it's the primary target for junk mails.

Hidden Tab

New Post

Interesting Stuff

Fellow Photogs

Fellow Blogger

Additional

Powered by Blogger
Get Firefox!
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Creative Commons License
Listed on BlogShares

Friday, August 20, 2004

 Penang Hokkien Part 1

It's funny the way Penang uses Hokkien. I've blended in long enough to learn a lot of catchy phrases that you'll never learn in the mainland. And the funny thing is that mainlander & islander people speak the same Hokkien dialect but there's a lot of difference in talking style.

Khia = stand, eg. standing on top of the roof

But when it's phrased as:

"Eong Chia Khia Ei" - use car to knock him/her

The funny part was using the stand as a substitude to run-over. Althought it's unimaginably possible, there it is, a term used mostly by pure native islander in this manner.

Another interesting word is Heh.

Heh = put, eg. put down your weapons

Sounds simple, used in example:

"Lu Heh Lok Lai" - you put it down

But with a proper restructuring, it would sound:

"Ee Beh Thiuk Heh" - He/She will get scolding

And be reminded that these are only a few examples. There are some different sentences used to denote a same situation. The following gives the meaning: "Please be careful."

To islander: siu-sim
To mainlander: seh-ji

So, Penang Hokkien dialect has a lot of fun-potential and mind-boggling, especially if you do understand Hokkien yourself. They are practically unique in the world. If you do speak that type of Hokkien in a certain chinese-speaking area in parts of the world, they'll immediately recognized it. To be continued...

6 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger gotenks said...

Yeah, Penang's hokkien is the most unique of all from around the world.

I realised that our Penang's hokkien is not compatible with others. Kedah's and Perak's, as well as China's and Taiwan's, are different from ours.

I think Kedah's and Perak's are compatible with those China's and Taiwan's...

yet, I still like Penang's hokkien... we rule!! 

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Jaselee said...

Not quite, our Hokkien is compatible with those in Kedah and some part in Taiping, but it doesn't go beyond that. And I'd still say I'm pretty proud to have learn about Penang Hokkien but still at a very low percentage (30%)... 

At 4:29 PM, Blogger zgirl said...

I only speak hokkien (Klang type) at home. If I use it with my colleague, I will be lost. I can hardly understand what they are saying. Sometimes they wonder why I keep on speaking Cantonese to them. One client actually begged me to speak hokkien to her because she can only speak Mandarin and Hokkien while her cantonese is like my Mandarin. What do you call it? Half-bucket-water in cantonese.
Btw, how do I add your blog to mine? 

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jaselee said...

Haha, yea we get a lot of KL customers talking Cantonese to us as well. Well, I understood them but cannot reply back to them because my Cantonese is half-past six as well. Hmmm, to add me to your blog, you have to edit your blog template, and add the line

<a href='http://jaselee.blogspot.com'>Jase's Blog</a> 

At 5:45 PM, Blogger gotenks said...

Ours is compatible? Well, I get to know some of these friends from Perak, my hokkien counting didn't work... =) 

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Jaselee said...

Let's see, it goes this way:

Kedah: 100%
Perak: 50% - Taiping is still within then 75% vicinity but in Ipoh, it dropped to 0%. However, there's some Hokkien dialect which resembles those Hokkien dialect in Klang. I guess your friend falls within the splinter group. 

Post a Comment

<< Home